Postdoctoral Fellowships System
The Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) system provides help to a core of the most extremely promising scientists at a crucial time in their professions. The fellowships may also be meant to secure a method of getting very qualified Canadians with leading-edge scientific and research abilities for Canadian industry, federal federal government and organizations.
Are you entitled to a PDF?
To be looked at qualified to receive support, at the time of the deadline date of this in which you apply, you must year:
- be described as A canadian resident or a permanent resident of Canada;
- hold or expect to carry a doctorate in another of the industries of research that NSERC supports.
- You are able to apply just once into the PDF program.
- You may possibly submit only 1 application per to one granting agency (NSERC, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research CIHR or the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council SSHRC) year. You mustn’t have previously gotten an award that is postdoctoralincluding a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship) from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR.
- You really need to have finished all demands of the degree that is doctoral no than 2 yrs prior to the deadline date of the season where you use.
Note: This isn’t the conferred or convocation date suggested in your transcript, but alternatively the date upon which all of the demands of one’s level had been met, like the defence that is successful distribution associated with the corrected copy of the thesis. The completion date of your most recent doctoral degree will be used to determine your eligibility for applicants with more than one doctoral degree.
- After you received your doctorate, NSERC will extend the eligibility period to three years if you have acquired at least six months of full-time relevant employment in industry or government (experience in an institution or its affiliated hospitals, research institutions and other laboratories will not be considered.
- If, within couple of years after the date of conclusion of the PhD, you’d your job somewhat interrupted because of disease or family that is health-related, NSERC will extend this eligibility duration to 3 years.
- When you have completed a non-research based medical residency system when you received your doctorate, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to 3 years.
- If, within 2 yrs after the date of conclusion of one’s PhD, you’d your job notably interrupted because of parental, medical and/or responsibilities that are family-related NSERC will extend the eligibility duration to three years.
- If, within couple of years before or following the date of conclusion of one’s PhD, you feel the main caregiver after the delivery or adoption of a young child, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to six years.
- Then you may be asked by NSERC to provide additional information and/or supporting documentation if you are subject to an extended eligibility period. Any such distribution to NSERC will simply be utilised by staff to evaluate your eligibility towards the system. If you want to notify the review committee of delays and/or circumstances which could have impacted your performance and/or efficiency, you might do this into the Special Circumstances element of the applying.
Where is it possible to hold your fellowship?
It is possible to hold your PDF at:
- Canadian organizations
- provincial research organizations in Canada
- other research https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PQZKo1RRuo that is appropriate in Canada
- organizations and research organizations abroad
You can not hold a PDF in Canadian federal government laboratories or perhaps in commercial laboratories across Canada.
NSERC encourages one to undertake research that requires collaboration along with other Canadian businesses. The type associated with the proposed collaboration must be appropriate towards the host institution.
- You might hold a PDF abroad as long as you’ve got gotten your doctorate from the Canadian organization.
- NSERC encourages PDF award holders to broaden their research experience by gaining experience of research that is different. You’re not allowed to put up your fellowship during the institution that is sameor its affiliated hospitals, research organizations along with other laboratories) in which you received your doctorate. But, you might request an exclusion that’ll be considered by the choice committee. The demand must certanly be according to medical reasons (for instance, proximity to needed health care facilities), family members reasons (as an example, a partner’s job) or systematic reasons (for instance, option of specific gear), which will make it excessively hard so that you can keep a specific organization. Even though your exclusion is provided, you aren’t allowed to be monitored by the PhD supervisor. You may be motivated to add a location that is alternate your PDF in case your ask for an exception just isn’t authorized.
- You might maybe not keep the PDF along with your PhD supervisor, even when your manager modifications research organizations.
- Keeping a PDF abroad may influence your residency status in Canada. You might need to contact the appropriate Canadian authorities or an expert that is appropriate advice.
How can you use?
You can easily make an application for a PDF by finishing and submitting Form 201, connecting supporting documents if required. See the directions about how to complete Form 201.
Application due date
NSERC must get the application electronically prior to 8:00 p.m. (ET) on October 17. Incomplete applications would be refused.
Apart from individual email address, NSERC will perhaps not accept any modifications or updates to the job after it is often submitted. Individual contact information may be updated by giving an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review procedures and selection requirements
NSERC scholarships and fellowships selection committees review all PDF applications. The choice committees assess each application in line with the selection requirements described when you look at the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships tools. observe that NSERC may increase equity and diversity among qualified candidates by providing award concern to meritorious candidates whom self-identify as Indigenous and/or as a lady, if adequate funds become available. The selection committees are arranged in accordance with the after discipline that is broad:
- Civil and industrial engineering
- Chemical, biomedical and materials technology engineering
- Technical engineering
- Electric engineering
- Computing sciences
- Mathematical sciences
- Physics and astronomy
- Earth sciences
- Development and ecology
- Cellular and biology that is molecular
- Animal and plant biology
The research topic rule (see range of Research topic Codes for Scholarships and Fellowships) entered from the application will figure out the choice committee when the application will undoubtedly be examined. NSERC may designate the applying to a committee that is different it determines that the niche matter is more suitable for another committee.
NSERC expects selection committee users to consistently guard from the likelihood of unconscious bias affecting the decision-making procedure, whether these biases derive from a way of thinking, fundamental versus used research, specific sub-disciplines, aspects of research or approaches (including rising people), size or trustworthiness of an organization, age, gender and/or other personal facets of this applicant.
NSERC is performing on the data that equity, variety and addition bolster the systematic and engineering communities therefore the quality, social relevance and effect of research. Candidates should make reference to concerns 5 to 7 within the Guide for Applicants: Considering equity, variety and addition in the application to learn more.
A of the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships Programs which provides useful information on what committee members look for in assessing applications in preparing their application, applicants should consult the Selection criteria and indicators section and Appendix. Candidates must also read the guidelines for finishing an application – Form 201.
Candidates are examined and chosen in accordance with:
- Analysis ability and potential(70%)
- Correspondence, social and leadership abilities (30%)
Notification of decision
January NSERC will notify all applicants of the results by the end of. NSERC will perhaps not offer outcomes by telephone.
NSERC will publish the names (as well as other basic information that is award of fellowship recipients on its internet site. To learn more, begin to see the usage of Suggestions Act plus the Privacy Act.
Conditions associated with the prize
Make reference to the Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide for policies and demands about keeping the honor, such as for example acceptance, begin date, deferment, paid leave that is parental keeping the honor on a part-time foundation, etc.